A moving company moved me on March 1. I saw one of them wrap…

Customer Question
A moving company moved...

A moving company moved me on March 1. I saw one of them wrap a painting. This painting is missing. They are denying that they took it. I believe they damaged it and didn't tell me or stole it. Do I have a case ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in Chicago, Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have filled out a police report with Chicago PD. They haven't really done anything yet. I asked my property management for access to surveillance camera in lobby for March 1. They haven't responded yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well, I spent $20,000.00 for this French impressionist painting on May 1, 2017. It was listed by the Jody Klotz Fine Art company for $29,000.00. I left all of the documentation on the back of this painting which is missing. However, I still have emails confirming I purchased the painting from them.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.

Unfortunately without SOME proof - like the surveillance camera footage or an itemized list - it would be very difficult to prove they took it/damaged it. I really wish I could tell you otherwise...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was kind of afraid of that. That may be why the Chicago PD is not acting very fast with this. Seems like it's a hard life lesson. I won't let any mover touch my valuables again!!!

I'm really sorry. I do wish I could tell you otherwise... it's really easy, unfortunately, for them to deny knowing anything about it. Perhaps you can file a claim with your insurance company. That's at least an option. Please let me know if that answers your question - even though it's not "good news"... If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

I just wanted to follow back up with you, to make sure you had all the information you needed! Can I answer anything else for you?

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney