I had a candidate that came in for an interview. While the…

I had a candidate that...
I had a candidate that came in for an interview. While the candidate was in the bathroom and employee mistaking the candidate for someone else grab then candidates leg while he was sitting in the stall. While the employee didn't mean it in a sexual way this is a violation of our harassment policy. "• Physical conduct such as touching, blocking or interfering in any way with another’s movement or work, or any assault upon another;" The employee has never had an incident before. Should I still move to termination because I have candidate liability if I don't?
3/15/2018
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

What is the candidate saying about this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The candidate explained what happened, we apologized and he began the interview process. So far we haven't heard anything else. Its a long shot for this candidate to get hired and they are not currently working

I see. Hold, please while I respond...

When a company has a policy regarding harassment or any other employment policy, the company must treat all employees equally as it implements the policy. For example, if one employee breaches a policy and that employer does nothing but another employee breaches the policy and the person is terminated, then that could potentially cause legal action in the future. So that is something to think about.

Yet, a company can use some discretion also, meaning the company can evaluate all the facts of the situation. For example, if a policy is intentionally violated verses negligently violated, then it could be up to the company to make a final decision based on the facts of what happened.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney