I have a friend whom I allowed to stay with me because she…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend whom I allowed to stay with me because she was about to be homeless. I'm now ready for her to leave at this point. I need to know if there is a certain amount of days I need to give her or what the process is. I am in georgis

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I verbally told her on 3/2/18 she has 30 days she's blocked my number so I could text her I record the conversation because I don't trust her *Recorded

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's about it I'm just ready for her to be out my space She doesn't contribute nor are we friends anymore so I'm stuck living with someone I don't like

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I just would like to know the process for my state and how many days I'm supposed to give. I've been getting mixed information

I'm sorry to hear this;

unfortunately this is not uncommon and the problem is that if the court determines the person is a resident they will be treated as a tenant, meaning the landlord must go through the legal steps.

Normally the court will determine the party a tenant if they have resided on the property for 30 days, has received mail there, and keeps their belongings there-so that it would appear they actually live there.

This would require a 60 day notice; please see this state handbook:

A tenant who occupies property and pays rent without a written lease is a “tenant-at-will” and certain laws such as those regarding eviction and security deposits still apply. A landlord must give a sixty (60) day notice to terminate or increase rent and the tenant must give a thirty (30) day notice to terminate or change the agreement. It is best to put the notice in writing. If the tenant fails to pay rent, the landlord can immediately demand possession and file a dispossessory affidavit.

https://www.athensclarkecounty.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/1170

As such it is important to comply with the proper notice requirement so if the tenant does not leave they can be evicted.

Now if the agreement was to pay rent and the tenant is delinquent then there is a quicker process but it still requires notice and possibly a court hearing; please see page 16 here:

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.