I'm the plaintiff in a warrant in debt case coming up. It is…

I'm the plaintiff in...

I'm the plaintiff in a warrant in debt case coming up. It is for money owed by a delinquent tenant and she's gotten a lawyer but I can't afford one, so I need to be prepared. Can you help with a few questions related to this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

The case is in Arlington, Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Filed the warrant in debt, served it and provided all the details of the debt to the lawyer for the defendant.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thats a good start.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

What are the questions?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Is there anything sneaky they may try to pull in court that I should be aware of? She's already said she is disputing the amount but she has not given me that information. I provided a bill of particulars showing what was owed and what was paid and how throughout this persons entire tenancy however nothing was ever disputed till this lawyer got involved and they are not giving me that information. Apart from disputing the amount, are there any other tricks she may attempt?

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

I was thinking of getting a property inspection done prior to the case in case she tries to say something in the condo doesn't work.

Kindly post ALL your questions at once. I cannot start the preparation of my answer when you may have additional post that would impact that answer.

Kindly let me know when you have finished posting.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I finished posting.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my answer.

Your Questions:

Is there anything sneaky they may try to pull in court that I should be aware of?

Response 1: For some many reasons, this question cannot be answered one being that I do not know what the opposing party's motives are.

She's already said she is disputing the amount but she has not given me that information. I provided a bill of particulars showing what was owed and what was paid and how throughout this persons entire tenancy however nothing was ever disputed till this lawyer got involved and they are not giving me that information. Apart from disputing the amount, are there any other tricks she may attempt?

Response 2: You are suing for delinquent rent. Thus, the possible defense would be that you are not entitled to the debt because of outstanding repairs, that the apartment was not habitable. You would defend this by showing that the Tenant did not make any request for repairs or if the Tenant made a request for repairs that the repairs were fixed in a reasonable manner. So, you need to be prepared to come to Court with copies of the Tenant's requests for repairs and evidence that the repairs were made. If no requests were made, of course you would let the Court know so that the Court would know that the Tenant's defense is not credible/viable and thus Tenant owes the debt.

Response 3: Yes, you can. That would be the prudent thing to do under the circumstances.

Goodluck with your case,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Ok, thanks, ***** ***** I am then prepared with getting an inspection done and having proof that if anything was asked it was repaired. Thank you.In response to #1) I think their motive would be to defer the case or have it dismissed.

Thank you for the positive rating and goodkuck with your case!