Can product recommendations, e.g. "XYZ recommends this

Can product recommendations, e.g. "XYZ...
Can product recommendations, e.g. "XYZ recommends this laptop" be protected by copyright?"XYZ" could be a publisher (e.g. Consumer Reports), a journalist (e.g. David Pogue who writes for Yahoo) or a well-known blogger.I understand that XYZ's published review of the laptop would definitely be protected by copyrights. Am I allowed to aggregate expert reviews (like Rotten Tomatoes) and show that XYZ (among others) recommended this laptop?
3/15/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today - the short answer to your question is Yes, you can aggregate reviews of products. There are a few things that you need to be aware of however. First, you need to make sure that you are not twisting the reviews or trying to imply they are false. You must use the reviews for exactly what they are. Secondly, you must use the reviews as full quotes, you can not manipulate the words or the reviews to actually mean something else. But if you are aggregating them to show which products are highly recommended, like consumer reports, there is nothing illegal about that. Once any "famous" person makes a comment or review, that is then in the public sphere and can be reused for that purpose.

I hope I was able to answer your question - can you please rate me with 5 stars

Hi Dan, thank you for the answer. This is very helpful. I am building a website to aggregate and rank products that are recommended by well-known experts and social influencers.It's a simple idea: If a product was recommended by 10 trusted experts, it would rank higher than a similar product recommended by only 5 of those experts. I plan to include short quotes from each expert, and link them to the actual published reviews on the experts' own sites. Do you see any issues with it? Do I need to get express permission from the publishers/experts/bloggers before I collate their opinions?The idea came to me last year when my wife needed a new laptop, and she was overwhelmed by the number of options and the challenge of reading/condensing so many experts' opinions. By aggregating others' works and creating new meta reviews, I hope my website will help others make better purchase decisions.

I do not see any issues with that model. You would not need to get the express permission from the experts.

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer
Thank you Dan - five stars!