In 2003, I co-signed a student loan for a student at FSU in…

Customer Question
In 2003, I co-signed...

In 2003, I co-signed a student loan for a student at FSU in Tallahassee. A grown woman should have known better but I wanted to help this student who had no one to turn to. Bad move on my part. He defaulted on the loan and Sallie Mae (now Navient) have come to me. I just paid off the loan in the amount of $6,967.76. What if any recourse do I have in recovering this loss? Thank you for any advice you may have for me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Leon County, Tallahassee, FL

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I don’t know what to do. I just issued the payment yesterday, March 14, 2018

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Has the statue of limitations been met?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. All of this depends on whether you had an oral or written agreement that this person was going to pay you back or whether he just made any promises he was going to pay you back.

If you had an agreement, then this appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?