I was in college in 2010 and had no income and did not file…

I was in college...

I was in college in 2010 and had no income and did not file a return. Am I able to go back now and file a return and claim one of the deductions for my education tuition and or expenses?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CT

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I haven't done anything yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The same question applies for 2009

3/15/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

ok. thank you

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, in order to collect a refund, a tax return must be filed with the IRS no later than three years from the due date of the return. After that, the money gets absorbed by the treasury, so it is too late for your deductions to have any effect.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

does the same limitation apply for filing an amended return? Also, for the lifetime learning credit, can you only claim it for the prior year or can you claim it in on a 2015, 2017 and/or 2017 tax return for tuition/expenses you incurred in 2009 and/or 2010

Yes, the same time limit applies for an amended return.

The LLC would also be subject to the same time limitations.

what about the 2nd part of my question regarding the lifetime learning credit or on of the other education deductions and the ability to claim it now for tuition paid in 2009 and 2010?

No, it can not be claimed for 2009. It is too late.

same answer for 2010 I assume

Correct.

Again, I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise.

Ok. Thank you for your advise.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney