My son is being forced to change his resume to add skills he…

Hello my son is...

Hello my son is being forced to change his resume to add skills he does not possess so that the company can attract customers.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes, their lawyer said it was part of thier business model and my son signed a contract.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

The job is hourly and the workplace is at will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The company has embellished his skill set greatly. When first signed on the company provided training. If my son leaves the company before 2 years he must pay back $14,000 for the training.

3/15/2018
Troy Gorman

T​his is a tricky situation your son finds himself in. He doesn't want to lie, but at the same time he doesn't want to lose his source of income. Since he is an "at will" employee, he can be fired for any reason. However, it would be improper for this company to fire him for refusing the engage in fraud, and it could subject them to investigation and sanctions from the State should it be reported to the EEOC or the Attorney General. First, your son needs to gather some kind of written or documented evidence that he is being asked to do this by his superiors in the company. It could be a text or email exchange or even a recorded voicemail message. After he has this, since the company seems willing to provide training, he should insist that he be provided training or experience in any area that the company would like him to add to his resume. If they agree, hopefully this will solve the issue, and the company will respect that he is an honest employee that they cannot take advantage of. If he is fired, and they demand the $14,000.00 from him, he will have the evidence to defend against that claim by showing that the company acted fraudulently, and fired him improperly and he will be able to report them to the State if they choose to push it further. He may also want to take a look at the agreement he signed regarding paying back the company for training. Usually, such repayment is only required if the employee quits or does something extreme (drugs, attacks a co-worker, etc.) that forces the company to fire them. If they simply decide to fire him because it "didn't work out" (he wouldn't lie!), then this often does not require the fired employee to have to pay for such training. I hope this has answered your question, and that you are able to give me a good rating. If not, or if you have any other questions, please contact me again. I appreciate yours son's honesty, and I wish him luck!

Troy T. Gorman, Esq.

Troy Gorman
Troy Gorman
Troy Gorman
Troy Gorman