My common law wife is trying to move out of state with my…

Customer Question
My common law wife...

My common law wife is trying to move out of state with my daughter can i stop that

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing i just found out tonight and have my daughter

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have alot to much to text

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/15/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Pet TX code 2.041 common law marriage is recognized on Texas and as such a child of the union is legally presumed to be the child of the couple and as such both are entitled to custody so long as the child is not concealed from the other.Under the UCCJEA the child's home state has jurisdiction and this is the state where the child has resided the past 6 months.
So essentially if a parent moves out of state the other parent may file a court case requesting the return of the child.In determining the custody issue the court will look to the best interests of the child. Generally if a parent attempts to alienate the other parent that is not considered in the child's best interest however the court will look at the whole picture to decide.Often they will try and preserve the status quo unless that was not healthy.Additionally if a court is asked to make a decision on whether a child can relocate the court will look to the motive for the move, the opportunity it may provide to the child, and whether it affects the parenting time with the nonmoving parent.
Can i file for custody this morning i have my daughter at this time? Im afraid for her
The payment went tbrough
For a live call
Your call request is not appearing on this page but it may have been directed to a different professional.Yes a parent may file for emergency custody if there is a threat to the child. The parent may file for protective orders as well.
It is best to hire an attorney to help expedite the process under emergency situations. Your local bar will have a referral service if you do not have an attorney.