I am seeking a divorce from wife of two years. Uncontested…

I am seeking a...

I am seeking a divorce from wife of two years. Uncontested with her saying she will pay half the bills. What should I expect for legal fees?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No. she is physically separated fro me as of Jan. 22nd 2018

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm concerned about her "saying she'll pay half the bills but ZI only have a verbal agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thanks

3/15/2018
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

I am going to give you a typical lawyer answer. "It depends!" At a minimum are the fees to file for the divorce ranging from $300 to $400. If you decide to handle the matter all on your own than that would be the extent of your cost. And this is doable if its a fairly simple divorce. (short marriage, no children, no house or retirement accounts or major assets). Now if you hire an attorney as I previously stated the cost will depend on the complexity of the divorce and the attorney. Generally, for a simple divorce, that is not contested you're looking at $2,000 to $5,000. For a contested divorce that requires motions, hearings, depositions and more extensive work you'd be looking at upwards of $15,000 to $25,000. The two main factors to consider are the attorney. Some have higher rates, some lower. And what's involved. Just like any other service profession (mechanic, plumber, electrician) the more work involved the more expensive it can be. A lot of times you can get a quote on a simple divorce, but that can turn into a longer drawn out divorce depending on the issues involved and the parties.

So if you the facts are as you state and the only issue is the allocation of your debt that sounds like a fairly simple divorce that could be handled on your own, or at a low cost with an attorney.

You were also concerned about the strength of a verbal agreement. Anything that you both agree to should be drafted into a written agreement. I do not recommend relying on any verbal agreements. By making it into a written agreement then you can have that agreement incorporated into your final divorce judgment, and it will be a court order, that later on can be enforced if it is not followed. Verbal agreements can be enforced after the divorce.

The court where you will file for the divorce has a lot of information for those who want to handle the divorce on their own without an attorney. It won't hurt to look into that first, and if you find you need additional help, then you can always hire an attorney.

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so is the only way experts are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue is works to your satisfaction.

N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou. My residence where we both resided was in Denton County. She now resides in Dallas County. I would suspect I have to file for a divorce and proceedings in the county where we both resided which is Denton County. Is that correct? Thank you for your response

Actually you can file wherever either of you have established residency (lived in county for at least 90 days prior to filing) So if you are both residents of different counties then you can file in either one. It would be a matter of which one is more convineint.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much I'm sure I will have additional questions here within the next week. We actually planned to have a lunch or dinner this weekend for discussion so I should have more clarity

You are welcome. Thank you for the positive rating.

N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer