I did something really stupid and I’m scared, I stole from…

I did something really...

I did something really stupid and I’m scared

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

I stole from Walmart 3/13/18 $113 worth of stuff I have a clean record never been in trouble my court date is 4/17

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the theft occur?

Cops where called they told me I wasn’t going to jail and they told me when I go before the judge I would not go to jail since I have a clean record and the stuff I stole was a very low amount

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

FL

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know what I did was wrong I have a clean record I want to know whT will happen when I go to court
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is anyone there?
3/15/2018
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am working on your answer now. I am sorry for the delay. It takes some time to prepare a complete answer. Please note the phone call requests are generated automatically from the system. I do not control them.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks! No problem

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The crime that fits your description is Petty Theft First Degree. The property is valued at $100 or more, but less than $300. In the worse case this is a misdemeanor of the first degree. The harshest penalty for this is incarceration for one year and a fine of $1,000.

That is worse case. First offenders never receive the harshest sentence. The more likely outcome is probation for a period of time (6 months to a year and fines).

You can reduce this further. Contact the court and find out who the prosecuting attorney is that has the case assigned to them OR go to Court early on the date that you are scheduled for hearing and try to speak to the prosecuting attorney ( you are better off trying to call him ahead of time).

See if he will be willing to negotiate a reduced charge and penalty. Before you say anything to the prosecutor ask him if you can have a plea agreement conversation where he agrees that anything you say in the negotiation will not be used as evidence. He should agree to that.

Then see if he will offer you what is called a deferred adjudication or pre-trial diversion (these are two names for the following). These programs allow you to accept a probationary term without entering a guilty plea. At the end of the probation you return to court and the charges are dismissed. You will have to pay fines, but there will be no conviction. This is a good outcome for people in this type of situation.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will call the courts and do what you suggested. The cop telling me to not worry and since my record is clean and the amount is low I will not have a problem, but I don’t want this on my record nor do I want to go to jail.Is it too early to call the courts this happen on the 13th ( 3/13/18)

You will have the arrest on your record. There is no avoiding that. You have been criminally charged. BUT you can avoid a conviction record.

It is not too early to find out who the prosecutor is. It may be assigned already.

You will not go to jail over this. You are looking at money and probation of some sort.

The unknown is whether or not the prosecutor will agree to the deferred adjudication. It is discretionary.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

If the court does not know call the district attorney's office.

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will do those things you suggested thank you so much. Does the probation.. if I get probation will I not be able to leave FL?
I’m going on a trip in July will I not be able to go?

It will probably not prevent you from going on your trip. That is something to discuss with the Prosecutor after you make the deal.

Good luck.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also can I end up going to court and only paying a fine?

Yes. You may be able to negotiate a fine only penalty. I can't say for certain without knowing how the specific court and proesecutor handle these cases.

Good luck.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks!
I’m calling the courts now! Thank you so much

Good luck.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not sure if this is good or bad I hope good but I called the court where I will be going and there’s no prosecuting attorneys in that court house it’s only the judge
I was told this court does traffic/ and misdemeanor

That is good, in that you are dealing only with a minor matter. So that gives you an iea that you will be looking at a limited sanction. But doble check by calling the District Attorneys office. Google Search "District Attorny" for your county. Call them and ask who is the prosecutor that is asssigned to handle misdemeanor charges at that court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks! I found the number and called seems like my case hasn’t been filed yet, she doesn’t even see a court date.Thanks for your time and help!!
I’ll keep calllin them back
Good. Good luck.
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer