If someone was getting sent hateful text messages and was…

Customer Question
Hi if someone was...

Hi if someone was getting sent hateful text messages and was threatened via text and on a Facebook live video, felt unsafe about reporting him to his college, so I was given permission to post an anonymous tip and the student was then expelled. The person who was expelled came to my job and threatened me and my office staff if he finds out if it was one of us. Saying he was coming for us one by one. Did I do anything wrong and what do I do moving forward?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None, I just notified my property manager about his threat and I feel unsafe because he has a history of aggressive behavior towards women

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Did I break any laws and could I get in serious trouble if I was granted permission to tip off the students college

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/15/2018
Lawyer: David C. Garner, Attorney replied 3 months ago
David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney

I will try and help. First of all, you were a little vague regarding your "tip". Were you a student at the college too? Was this person using the college email systems or something like that to threaten you? Who did you report it to? The campus police?

Please let me know and I will try and help.

THanks!

DCG

No I’m not a student at his school. I work at the apartment complex he lives at and I’m friends with the person he was initially sending all the texts to and another girl recorded a Facebook life video of him saying more hateful things. When he threatened me today, he came to my office and threatened to come after my staff and I one by one because he hates us. So far I hadn’t reported his threat to anyone. I needed to get advice if I would get in any trouble since I submitted in the screenshots and video even if I was given permission by the person who he was initially being hateful to.
I asked the school to remain anonymous, and I just want to make sure that my identity is still safe from this situation especially now since a threat has been made towards me