My friend gave me permission to drive their car. I was in an…

Customer Question
My friend gave me...

My friend gave me permission to drive their car. I was in an accident that was my fault. They now want to sue me for the amount of their increased car insurance premiums. Can they do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

At the time of the accident, I offered him cash, in the amount I though he would be out, so that he would not have to claim it on his insurance. He said no, that he thought he " could do better by claiming it on insurance". He now wants to me pay him the amount of his increased insurance premiums.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
When should I expect an reply?
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

They can not sue you for the increase in your premium. That is between you and the insurance company and is not something you have any control over.

They can only sue you for negligence and be awarded the damages for the car.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

It's not my insurance, it's the car owners, so I am confused by your reply. Also, if their insurance company already compensated them for the car, how would damages for the car that they could sue for be calculated?

Sorry, meant their premium. They can not sue you for the increase in their premium. You are only liable to them for the damage to the car, not for the insurance premiums.

If the insurance company paid out then it is the insurance company that would sue you in a subrogation claim for the money they paid out on the claim due to your negligence.

Are you still online with me?

I have to step away, but I will be back. If you have further questions, just post them here and I will reply when I return.

If they gave me.permission to drive the car, can the insurance company still sue?
Having their permission is not a legal defense to negligence.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you blindsided.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.