I am hiring a paralegal to assist in a court matter and

I am hiring a...

I am hiring a paralegal to assist in a court matter and would like advice

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Ive contacted her

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Thank you

3/15/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
What can we answer for you? I see what you've written but I don't see a question listed.

She is not an attorney, I understand that. I am interested if I can legally ask her to refrain from contacting oppossing party? When I asked her she sent this "This email Shall Serve to confirm that you have agreed for me to prepare a response two opposing parties domestic violence restraining order request and that I will serve a copy of it on her by mail and file my proof of service with the court. My fee for the service is a flat fee of $300 payable 1/2 at the preparation of the forms and the balance due at the time of filing with the court. Please confirm that you are agreeable to the above."Can it be reworded so that I have some kind of confidentiality with the paralegal?

Are you concerned that someone will claim your communications with your paralegal aren't confidential or are you concerned that she will disclose your communications with her?

But I am only being cautious. I do not see any reason she would contact the opposing party.

You're an attorney, correct? So you can say something along the lines of "all communications between [attorney] and [paralegal] shall be deemed privileged communications in furtherance of ___________"

And, yes, you can certainly tell her that she may not contact opposing counsel. It's your right as the person employing her.

Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

No I am not an attorney. I'm just a guy that hired a paralegal to help me with an unjustly filed hearing.

Oh, okay, I see :) Same answer... you can definitely tell her you don't want her corresponding with opposing counsel!

Unfortunately I am one of the many whom do not have a $5k retainer on standby, unfortunately.

It's a good thing that you have some help though. Is there anything else I can answer for you? :-)

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
I did not get a response from you on the wording she sent me... So to make it short; Can I legally ask for the paralegal for confidentiality?
I see above. Thank you!!

Thanks so much for your rating! And, just for future reference, I want you to have a way to get back to me directly (if you want). If you need anything and you want to reach me you can do so by clicking HERE or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.