Lori
Lori, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 25 years experience
101026752

Our previous landlord told us that we had to be out of our

Our previous landlord told us that we had to be out of our home before February 14th he said that we didn't have to pay the rent if we were out on the 14th we shook on it. We left on the 14th. He had the maintenance man send a text to us stating that he wanted $600 and we have been in current home since February 21st What should we do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Indiana
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We just got this text yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There's a lot to explain

H​ello. Let me see if I can assist. The landlord wants $600 for the 14 days you were renting in February, even though he said you would not owe anything, correct? did you have a security deposit posted with the landlord?

I would not pay him. I would make demand for return of your security deposit. It is very unlikely that he will try to sue you for the $600.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No we didn't we took over my sister-in-law house
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He also told us that if he didn't get the money that he was going to take us to court for $4,000.00 He claimed it was because of my sister-in-law that he refuse to evict.

What is his legal basis for $4000? Sounds like he is bluffing and just trying to threaten you to get $600.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He said because my sister-in-law was still there which we told him repeatedly that she want leave unless he put her out. In reality it was because he had to put in a brand new furnace

I​f he did not give proper notice to vacate or pay - he failed to properly comply with the eviction statutes. Therefore, the landlord will have a hard time recovering his alleged $4000. I would not pay. Force him to file suit - which he likely will not.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The notice that he gave us wasn't even a 30 day notice it was a two weeks notice.

I​mproper notice. Ignore his demands.