On a recent trip to Cozumel Mexico I severely injured both…

Customer Question
On a recent trip...

On a recent trip to Cozumel Mexico I severely injured both my knees at the resort I was staying at. I fell on an outside stairway that was not lit.Is there anyway I can recoup my out of pocket expenses from the resort

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Mexican lawyer about this?

No I have not made contact with any

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Really at this time none other than talked to a South Carolina injury lawyer but they are only licensed in SC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just if anyone can help in this matter

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This to me sounds like a classic case of negligence. Negligence simply means that there was a duty that the other party owed and they breached that duty in some way. What is most important is that it is proven that the defendant breached their duty of care because that is what mostly determines whether there is a cause of action. Basically, the question is, “Did the defendant’s actions fall below the standard of care for a reasonable person in a similar situation?” If the answer to that question is yes, then there is negligence and you are entitled to damages. Damages can be difficult to calculate, but if you click here you can use a calculator help you understand.

In your case, if a reasonable hotel would have lit the stairwell, then the fact that they didn't would likely point to negligence by the hotel. You may be able to recover your medical expenses and pain and suffering. The only downside is that because the defendant and the cause of action happened in MX, a U.S. court would not have jurisdiction.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?