Is my vehicle considered exempt property. Arkansas and no. A…

Customer Question
Is my vehicle considered...

Is my vehicle considered exempt property

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And are you working with a local attorney?

Arkansas and no

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

Yes a judgement was filed and processed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Me and my husband have been sued by my aunt we have 3 kids with us and I am the only one working and pay childsupport also

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

The court only allows an exemption of personal property (which is what an auto is) of up to $500; please see:

https://www.arlegalservices.org/files/FSGarnishment.pdf

That link has the affidavit to claim the exemption.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With both me and my husband being sued separately is there any thing we can do with just me working and having kids to take care of as well
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about our kids belongings

Personal items such as clothes don't count towards the exemption. That is addressed on page 2 of the above link.

Sometimes the parties will consider bankruptcy; if it is not an intentional tort the judgment may be discharged. This discusses the various chapters:

http://www.uscourts.gov/services-forms/bankruptcy/bankruptcy-basics

This explains the intentional tort exception to the bankruptcy discharge:

https://www.floridabar.org/news/tfb-journal/?durl=%2Fdivcom%2Fjn%2Fjnjournal01.nsf%2FAuthor%2F2AEF3CCD3B3D8C2485256ADB005D6297

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer