I need help with a couple of criminal questions. Its

I need help with...

I need help with a couple of criminal questions

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Its actually for my brother n law hes currently incarcerated in the tdcj and is trying to appeal and hes representing himself

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Its a aggravated assault with a deadly weapon

3/14/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im trying to help my brother who is incarcerated in the TDCJ with his appeal. Our questions is, If an indictment tracking penal code 12:35 (c)(1) fails to allege during the commision of the offense is the indictment void?

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you.

oK,so if I can clarify, you said that the indictment didn't allege that he had a deadly weapon, is that correct? And you're wondering if that is the case will it void the indictment?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was a motor vehicle. He was backing up when the cops were pulling up on him.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He never touched the cop.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that’s all correct

I see what you mean. So, the answer to your question is that if they do not allege that he had a deadly weapon, then he needs to fight the indictment with a grand jury packet.

An indictment is based on evidence that is presented by the DA, the DA gets to chose what is presented and you have no right to be present. So, the only option you have is to ask for a Grand Jury Packet.

If that is not possible, then his best bet is to try to argue that a vehicle is not a deadly weapon and that the indictment doesn't properly allege that he used it as a deadly weapon. Plus, if the facts show he didn't hit the cop and if the cop suffered no injuries and if there are no other witnesses to corroborate this, then this element cannot be met.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok one more question. Does the court have jurisdiction over the subject matter?

Yes, so long as it is a criminal court that received the indictment. Subject matter jurisdiction applies when the subject matter in the case (e.g. theft, fraud, etc.) is within the scope of what a court can hear. For example, a criminal court cannot hear family cases and a family court cannot hear criminal cases. If the subject matter is criminal, only the criminal courts have jurisdiction.

How else can I help you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s all for now but Thank you so much.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer