Does one need a subpoena to retrieve the content of very old…

Does one need a...

Does one need a subpoena to retrieve the content of very old text messages on a cell phone?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

None. I'm worried about my ex showing embarrassing messages (nothing remotely illegal). That might have been sent years ago. That's why I am curious as to whether she could even access them....without a subpoena.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What is the cost involved?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Is it arbitrary or can one set a price limit.

3/14/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unlike on TV, most cell phone companies do not keep text message information beyond a 30 day time span. However, whether or not they have them 30 days or longer is irrelevant for this inquiry. Anyone who wants to access the text records even on their OWN account, must have a subpoena. In order to get a subpoena there must be a lawsuit filed.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Forgive this silly question but a lawsuit filed for such a subpoena request could only be obtained for a criminal reason right? Not under the argument that the texts (mine and hers) are an individuals intellectual property or simply for private personal investigative reasons?

Thank you for your reply.

It is NOT a silly question.

For a lawsuit filed, it can be for a civil suit, a family suit such a divorce or for a criminal cases.

You cannot just file a lawsuit for a fishing trip to investigate anything and she cannot claim the texts are her intellectual property, that would not be valid cause to file suit.

Thank you so much for your thorough work and quick reply. You have put my mind at rest. All the best!