Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Living in the same motel room for more than a year now.

JA: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Massachusetts> AM I now a tenant at will. where can I find the rules governing my occupancy? thank you
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing. signed no contracts rent on weekly basis
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: behind in rent, need time to pay it off
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
rent receipts showing amounts paid and amount still due. where send them? Have no FAX abilities from laptop.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am senior citizen male , age 82. No notice of any kind delivered to me.
applied for housing authority - 7 locations years to go on wait lists.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under MA law, you have become more than a motel guest, you are a tenant at will and treated as any other tenant under landlord tenant law in MA. The landlord has to give you 14 day written notice to try to evict you for non payment of rent when due. There is no provision in the law for people who are seniors or cannot afford to pay rent because of fixed income to exempt them from the landlord tenant law.

The law says they cannot evict you without giving you written notice of 14 days for non-payment or 30 days otherwise that you will be evicted. Absent notice, any attempt at eviction would be an unlawful eviction. See: http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/docs/landlordrights.pdf

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
N.B. I have been paying rent, but not on payoff total basis. Last two payment over 2 months $1050 each. Can pay again soon, but doesn't get me out of hole. Current rent, $350/week all included. I don't want to stiff this landlord, may get larger amounts in future. Want to get cheaper lodgings - difficult in MA - am eligible for much reduced rents under MA housing law - just no places open. MA social worker rental assistance a total failure.Just don't want to get evicted while I solve this problem. Any negotiation opportunities in this situation/? If I face legal action can I hire you to represent me??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Need some more information to get "ducks in a row" to create a plan of action. Can I get back to you on some soon future date?

Thank you for your reply.

I understood you were paying rent, but not the full amount due, which means you are delinquent in rent whenever you do not pay the full amount due in rent. So it is up to the landlord and if they are fine with you not paying it all including delinquent amount that is up to them. However, anytime you do not pay full rent due, they can seek to evict you for non-payment of rent with 14 day notice.

I understand you have problems making ends meet. If you cannot get into subsidized housing, you can try some of the local religious based groups who may have low cost housing, but other than that the local Section 8 office is all there is.

Legally, we cannot represent anyone from this site, I am sorry.

You can post new questions on the site and even use the same attorney by asking for that expert to assist you.