I have a legal question. Can an individual in the State of…

Customer Question
I have a legal question...
I have a legal question. Can an individual in the State of Illinois be charged with forgery by anyone other than the victim of the forgery?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/14/2018
Lawyer: LegalPro54, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

In fact, you have it backwards. The victim of a crime cannot actually "charge" anyone. They could perhaps file a civil lawsuit for damages, but only the District Attorney's Office has authority to "charge" someone with a crime. All the victim can do is report the crime to the DA. Sometimes the DA will defer to the victim as to whether they would like to see a prosecution, and that will factor into the DA's decision to prosecute, but again, only the DA can actually file charges, and onl the DA could charge someone with forgery.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

LegalPro54
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer