I am a consultant in Nashville TN. I have a contract that…

I am a consultant...

I am a consultant in Nashville TN. I have a contract that states, I have to give two weeks notice, which i did verbally and in writing. The employer can just pay me for that day , i gave my notice first, the employer then said, well im not gonna pay you per the cotnract, can they do that? my name it Vito

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Is vito

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No, i have a contract

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ugh....im a technical contract, and i gave notice first

3/14/2018
Michael Bradley

so if I understand you, you have an employment contract and pursuant to its terms you gave notice

the contract states that if you give notice you get paid for the day

the company is refusing to pay for the 1 day

No the contract States I must give two weeks which I did in the event I decide to leave. In the event the company no longer wants my services they do not have to give me anything but the day I am working.
So what happened was I gave notice verbally and written they did not tell me they did not want me and after I said I'm giving two weeks notice they said we're not going to pay you and leave.
essentially this is over 1 days pay?
No this is over 2 weeks pay. I gave my notice today the 14th in my eyes in terms of the contract I did what I was supposed to do. So they should pay me for the two weeks instead they turned around and said well in the contract it says that we can let you go at anytime. But as I stated I gave my two week notice they had no intention of letting me go. In fact they extended my contract 2 days earlier. So once again they had no intention of letting me go they actually wanted me there till at least June 30th, I give my two weeks notice today March 14th they turn around and say we don't want you and we're not going to pay you. My two weeks notice is an email too. So once again this is over approximately 9 days pay or 2 weeks
You have a few possibilities. You can always file a suit in small claims court. The other possibility would be to make a claim with labor and industry that you are owed wages. That would be quicker and probably more effective and something you can do on your own
Thank you
You are welcome. Good luck. Please rate my advice. While I do not do this for the rating, my compensation is tied to the rating system. I strive for five stars. Thank you
Michael Bradley