I let someone barrow money so he could keep his house. we…

Customer Question
I let someone barrow...

I let someone barrow money so he could keep his house. we signed an agreement. its been years have not seen a penny. have taken him to small claims. but because he owns his own business, mowing lawns there is no way for me to get my money back. seems like the honest people get the raw end. the laws are for the criminals. amount*****charges and the per cent they add on,amount now 55 6500. I have tried to give him ways to pay me back,working for me to get my yard done,etc. no response. now I don't know where he lives, still in the area but has moved

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Newton,north carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Small claima twice. but the 2nd time i went to see if i could or had to go to court again they said it was good for ten years and didn't need to do anything. i asked if i could take it higher they said no. that was about years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They said that we could get him to sell whatever to pay me but it has to be worth a certain amount. he doesn't have anything that meets the amount. i think he knows what he needs to do to keep from paying. he owes other people money also

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Was there a specific date for repayment?

Does the borrower acknowledge the debt? Will they do so in writing?

Did you ever get a judgment?