I am looking for advice on an issue concerning harassment…

Good afternoon, Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good afternoon,

Lawyer's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I am looking for advice on an issue concerning harassment from owner of a local business. This not an employer/employee issue, I live in. 55+ gated community, that has a restaurant open to the public. My ex husband rents the building that houses the restaurant, but the business is incorporated under his name. We have been separated/divorced 3 1/2 years, he is remarried and he and his new wife continually harass me when I go in there. My ex states his lawyer told him he can kick anybody out at any time because he is the business owner. They both have threatened many times to call the sheriffs to have me escorted out or arrested, without just cause. My questions:

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Can he legally keep me out of the restaurant as it is open to public, and he has no just cause. and does he have the right to call sheriffs etc. without just cause? Thank you for your time.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I am in Auburndale FL. He has threatened me with this before when we were first seperated, I stayed away from the restaurant. Last Sep I was in there*****to much drama going on between new wife and patrons, so I decided it was better to stay away. I had two golf tournaments

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Feb 25, and Mar 1st, the luncheons were in the restaurant, I attended these, and on Mar 6 got text from new wife stating they are the owners now and I am not welcomed in the restaurant. I have spoken to management of the community (community owned by Sun Communities) and he said it is better to stay away from restaurant so as not to cause a scene. The management stated my ex has the right to kick me or anyone else out. I am 65 yo, not looking for any drama at this point in my life. I just want him and new wife to mind their business and let me mind mine. He is 67 yo, new wife is 50 yo. I currently have a female partner, and feel that some of the harassment is due to that fact.

3/14/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
that would be great. I would like to know if he can legally keep me out of restaurant, and what legal recourse I have. I am thinking a simple letter from a lawyer to both my ex and his new wife stating something to the effect of my legal options, or something like if the harassment doesn’t stop, further action will be taken. Or something like that.
A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!
Thankyou, acceptable. What type of lawyer should I contact?
Business law. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney