My car was totaled in an accident no personal injury and it…

Customer Question
My car was totaled...

My car was totaled in an accident no personal injury and it was fully insured, am I entitled to anything other than having the car paid up to the value?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you have copies of the medical records?

In Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed? If so, what?

The accident claim was filed by myself, the other driver who was at fault was drunk and left the scene

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son was driving and he is not listed on my insurance

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under GA law for property damage claims, all that the party at fault is liable to pay is the value of the property damaged at the time of the accident. There is no emotional damage, no pain and suffering damages with one exception. If you can prove he was drunk at the time of the accident, under GA law a jury could award you "punitive damages" which are damages in punishment for driving drunk illegally and can be up to 3 times the actual damages caused, plus your attorney's fees.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney