I just got a truck on Monday evening. After just 2 days I…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I just...

Second opinion] I just got a truck on Monday evening. After just 2 days I can't get into it because it is agrivating my Rheumatoid arthritis so bad. I've spoken with the delership but they won't let me out of this and they offered me a smaller vehicle for only $17.00 less. I gave them all the money I had as a down payment.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I've talked to the dealership and they say that the lease has been processed and the only thing they can do is swap the truck for an ecosport with no down payment and my payments will drop by $17.00. if I had my $2600.00 that I gave them on the lease as a down payment the payments would drop by $100.00. I didn't want the truck but they convinced me that this was all I could afford.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that this truck is a beautiful truck but it's so high off the ground that I have to pull myself up and in and that's what has caused the pain in my hands now.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Troy Gorman,
 replied 4 months ago
Troy Gorman

Sorry to hear about all the trouble this is causing you. Unfortunately, once you make the lease agreement it is a binding contract, especially once you have driven the vehicle off the lot. If I understand correctly, the dealership is basically "taking" your $2,600.00 and leasing you a smaller truck for an only slightly smaller payment. That is not a good deal, and it is certainly within their power to be more fair. However, they know that they have no legal obligation to do anything, so they will try to make a buck - poor customer service! On the other hand, have you considered asking them if they would be willing to install "running boards" or a side step to allow you to get in and out of the vehicle easier? Perhaps if you talk with your salesperson about your medical condition, he can convince his manager to agree to the addition without charging you. (Especially if you mention leaving them a bad review online.) This would be a very inexpensive thing for them to do, and may solve the issue you have. Even if you have to contribute some money to have them do that, it will be much cheaper than $2,600, and you will be able to keep the truck that you originally wanted to purchase. I hope that my response has answered your question, and that it is helpful to you, and that you think it is worthy of a good rating. If not, or if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me again. I wish you luck in your discussions with the dealership!

Troy T. Gorman, Esq.