I had a verbal agreement with my current employer, and he…

I had a verbal...

I had a verbal agreement with my current employer, and he has denied me, on several occasions, to fulfill his side of our agreement, and has thrown it in my face. I have written documentation of this. I went back to school, on my own and am about to graduate with Associates in Arts, and am transferring to SCSU. Is there anything I can do to keep him to his side or pay for school? I'm going for electrical engineering.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

MN

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing other than talk to you, and a guy that he offered the same thing, but he didn't take the offer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I relocated my whole family, and I was diagnosed with MS last summer. He also refuses to label me as the supervisor, even though that's what he considers me

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Good afternoon. Do you have any contract with this company? Was everything verbal? What was promised?
Good afternoon. It was verbal, and he gave me and two other guys the exact same offer. I know because we talked about it after the boss talked to us individually. He offer $5,000, and school for manufacturing. The offer was all verbal but as I previously stated, there are two witnesses.
Thank you. If he made an offer and you accepted it by performing he would need to honor it. If he fails to do so you would need to sue him for the breach and the damages suffered. In this case it would likely be the money owed and damages suffered as a result but you could not force him to allow you to work there.
Your written documentation and testimony could be evidence for the judge to consider if he decides to lie and claim that this agreement never happened.
Ok. Thank You for your answers.
You are welcome and glad I was able to help. If there is nothing further I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time so the site provides me with the proper credit. Thank you !
I do have 1 last question, and then I will rate. How badly would future employers look at this?
They should not look at this negatively at all. If your employer made you and offer and you agreed to it and performed they should honor it. The fact that they are now not doing so and to need to sue to be made whole should not be anything that counts against you for further employment.
Thank you so much!!!
My pleasure and glad I was able to assist. I look forward to a 5 star rating above!
LegalKnowledge, Attorney