I was approached by a company in Hong Kong looking to hire…

Customer Question
I was approached by...

I was approached by a company in Hong Kong looking to hire me to be their collections manager for their North American customers. In order to do this, I would have to open my own business and I'm alright with that. My question is; is there any type of international laws I need to make sure isn't being broken by me doing this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Alberta

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

They sent me the contract outlining what it is I will be doing. I have not signed anything as of yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have the contract sent to me by email so if the lawyer wants to see it i can email it to him

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

You do not want this job! It is a scam, and you are going to get very badly hurt. Not only will you lose a lot of money when the checks you deposit bounce -- which they will -- but you'll owe your bank for the overdraft and can be charged criminally with bank fraud.

There is only one reason for a company to offer a position like this, and it's to use you to launder stolen money. Once the checks bounce and you go looking for them, they will be nowhere to be found.

Why would they need to reach out to someone from another country in the first place to process payments? They wouldn't! And why would YOU have to create a bank account with you as the signatory? The answer is so that you would get caught for the fraud and they won't.

I don't need to see the contract. What they are asking of you speaks for itself. The names of the so-called companies change all the time, but the job offer is a well-known scam.

Here's how it works:

You get an offer of employment as some kind of an account manager from what usually is a foreign company or one that claims to be just opening up a branch in the States. It's a work at home position. The salary is very high for the kind of work you are doing, and there's no real interview to speak of. You get the job easily on the strength of your resumé. In fact, sometimes you're just offered the job via email without you even having applied or gotten interviewed at all.

There are two variations. In one, you're told that this job is to make purchases and you will be given credit card numbers to make them with. Then when the packages come to you, you'll repack them and ship them elsewhere.

In the second version, you're hired as an accounts manager and told you'll be processing checks which you will put in your bank account or in an account you will open in the business's name. Then you will keep a percentage as your commission and wire the money back to your employers. The checks will bounce and you'll be liable to your bank for the overdraft. If you fail to pay, your bank will have you prosecuted for bank fraud.

With regard to the first variation, you will learn the hard way that you will be making purchases with stolen credit card numbers, and all of the purchases will trace to you because they will be shipped to and from your home. People who engage in this kind of activity not only don't get paid by their so-called employers, they often get arrested for trafficking in stolen goods. Worse yet, as they are putting these packages into the mail, this is a Federal offense.

With either scam, when you get in trouble and you look for your employer to make it right, they won't be anywhere to be found. They don't, as it turns out, really exist at all.

You need to walk away from this job. Don't worry about breaking any contract or giving notice. The company is fraudulent and no contract with them is either real or enforceable. Don't process any checks. Report the scam to your police and to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.