I have a civil case against me file in South Korea. From the…

Customer Question
I have a civil...

I have a civil case against me file in South Korea. From the civil case, one criminal investigation has be started. I need a lawyer that understand how judgements made in Korea can be enforced in USA (South Carolina).

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a South Korean lawyer about this?

Yes, he is worried about the criminal change and he thinks the civil case could result in $30,000-$50,000 judgement. He recommends that I not come back to Korea and discuss the case with a lawyer here in the US

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I paid the Korean lawyer to handle the case. The first hearing is on 21-March.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are many details, maybe I should discuss with the lawyer

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The courts in SC will enforce foreign judgments from South Korea where the court finds that the defendant had a reasonable opportunity to respond and defend the suit in South Korea. So if you get a judgment against you in South Korea, it will cost the plaintiff a good bit of money, $10,000-$15,000 to get a lawyer in SC to file a recognition of foreign judgment in the SC court. If they can prove you had the opportunity to defend, which you have, then the SC court has to enforce that judgment.

However, in many instances plaintiffs do not come to the US to enforce the judgments because of the costs to them to do so.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

One other questions, has to do with the case. This is related to an affair I had with a women. She is Korean. I met her on a dating site. She was in Australia but told me she hated it there. I bought her a ticket back to Korea. And told her she could live in our company apartment for a few weeks until she found a job. However, she moved in and would not leave. She stayed there for almost two years. During the 2 years, I was in Korea about 30 weeks. I had given her my credit card for medical expenses, and food while I was out of Korea, but she charged a new Gucci Bag and New Cell phone, total was about $3,000. So I broke up with her and cancelled the credit card. At that time, she used quite the profanity and said if I didn't fix the credit card or give her big money, she was going to cause big trouble for me. She went to the police and file a criminal complaint for sexual raping and other deviate behavior. The prosecutor found no evidence all charges dropped.
So she filed a civil suit for $150,000. $50,000 for sexual misconduct and $100,000 for de facto marriage. The sexual misconduct is complete fabrications. The de facto marriage is based on the fact that she lived in our company apartment which I visited occasionally. During our time together, she wanted 2 thing, money and a Visa so she could go to the USA.
After many months complaining, I told her I would get the visa, just to have some peace. But I never applied. After a year, again she was complaining.. you are liar, you did not file for visa.. So I created a document, attached and showed it to her. It was a stupid thing but I did it again to stop her constant complaining,I only showed this document to her, later she stole the document and gave it to the police.
The is the crime being investigated, Korean criminal Law 231 ACT - A person who, for the purpose of uttering, makes a document or drawing which pertains to a right, duty, or a certification of a fact by assuming the capacity of another person.
The key is "for the purpose of uttering". This means - the false document's Intent to defraud is the intention to deceive others. It involves a specific intention to cheat others, for causing financial loss to others or bringing financial gain to one’s self.So, I feel it is not possible for me to get a fair trial in Korea. My lawyer seems very passive without my strategy. And I cannot go back to Korea due to the criminal investigation.I'm not sure what to do. I need a good lawyer here to look at the case, help assess if I can get a fair trial. I really appreciate your advice.Fred

Thank you for your reply.

If you made a false document you could be in trouble in this country too. But you would need a new lawyer in South Korea and you can get one there at the same site used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org