Is it ok to force undocumented people do things that they…

Customer Question
Is it ok to...

Is it ok to force undocumented people do things that they want to do

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are they in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?

No one has been able to help me I am desperate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband was forced to sign a informant contract just for being undocumented here

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Could you provide a little bit of background as to what an "informant contract" is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
immigration told him to sign a informant contract or CI or they threaten him told him he would get deported and his family if he didnt sign

Do you have a copy of this that you could upload?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they didnt give him a copy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but they had him star a job right away and he is very sick now he has depression nervous problems
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know how to help him he has to have rights

Interesting. This is highly unusual. Do you know what he is supposed to be an informant of at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
drug dealers and any case that they need him

That's very strange. So, it's not generally illegal for any employer to require that an employee do or not do certain things as a condition of their employment. If, as a condition of his employment, the employer requires that he report information about drug dealers, then that is something that your husband would be bound to do by the terms of the contract.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
well immigration agents are the ones making him do it

Interesting. To be honest, this is not something that I am familiar with and I think I would be doing a disservice to you if I continued on with this discussion. What I can do is opt out of this discussion and let another expert, maybe one that specializes in immigrant issues, take over for me so they can assist you. Thanks and I apologize sincerely.

Tina, Lawyer