I got a phone call from a possible scamer. How do I know?

I got a phone...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Calif

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I bought $245 iTunes cards and gave the numbers of the back of the cards to them?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Now they say I have to pay Cal taxes before I get the $9,000

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

You've fallen for a scam, unfortunately. You haven't won anything and the only real money in this whole scenario is yours. You've already lost $245, which they wanted in the form of iTunes cards because they are untraceable that way. Don't send them any more. Any money you send them, you are going to lose because they are not who, what or where they say they are.

You don't get taxed on the promise of future money. You get taxed only once it becomes income. Asking for taxes is just an excuse to get more money from you. You never have to pay a cent for money that's already yours. A fee for any reason whatsoever is the #1 sign of a scam. Any real contest would take any real transfer fees out of your money that they already have. They would never take it upfront out of your own pocket.

Report this fraud to the FBI online at www.IC3.gov which is their internet crime complaint center.

the person who called me is named Jordon D. Lee at 315 (###) ###-####, Fed id XP1007
Is this guy for real???
no call....cant talk anyway
Are the ITunes cards now worthless?

No. He is not real. There is nothing real about this. If the "winnings" aren't real, the thief who called you isn't real either. The Federal government has nothing to do with the distribution of contest winnings.

The number is ***** VOIP, which is to say, it's a computer app. The computer can be anywhere in the world.

Yes, the iTunes cards are worthless. Your thieves have cashed them in because you gave them the numbers on the back of them.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Thanks for your help!