Summary: Never married, lived together for about 10 years.

Summary: Never married, lived together for...
Summary:
Never married, lived together for about 10 years. Have two daughters in common 8 and 7 years old each.
I live in Springfield Ma. My daughters live with their mother in Puerto Rico. I have a 20 years old daughter from a previous marriage who lives in Texas
Separated for about three years.
Child support amount was an agreement. It fluctuates between 860 and 1000 depending on the need. I agreed to help with half of the back to school expenses and have done it for 3 years. Currently I pay for the house $786 house maintenance cost $75 and $35 for karate classes.
I have paid that amount even when I was making only around $2000 per month when I first got here in December 2016
I brought my daughters for summer June and July, I paid for the plane tickets, still paid the agreed child support amount for those two months and helped her with the back to school expenses.
She went to a lawyer with my December 2017 pay stub which states I made (gross) around 50,000 last year. They claim I should be paying 1,722.00
The clinic I was working for last year closed. I started in a new clinic this week making considerably less money at the moment with the potential to go back to making 50 k or more as I build my case load.
Would like to set an amount that would allow me to continue living a decent life, pay my student loans etc while still providing for my daughters.
3/14/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks for providing this information; however, I'm not sure what specific questions you have for me regarding this. How can I help you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was told that I could hire a lawyer to work the case from here but when I called an office I was told that because my daughters are living in Puerto Rico then I would need to travel and do the process there, Can it be worked from here and can you recomend me someone who can help?

Thanks so much for providing that. The sad part is yes, you would have to find a lawyer in PR. The reason is because since PR is a US territory, they follow the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act. This means that if a child has been living in a state or territory for the last six months, that is where jurisdiction is going to be proper. It won't be proper where the parents live. The idea is that it makes the process more easily streamlined for the custodial parent if they are living with the kids.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most in advertising can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state/territory typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Check out the website for Puerrto Rico LRS: http://prbany.com/

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks that would be all for now.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi can i bother you again? I saw this online would it mean I can still work the case from here? The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) is a Uniform Act drafted by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws in 1997. The UCCJEA has since been adopted by 49 U.S. States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The Act became effective in Vermont on 7/1/2011. As of January 22, 2016, the only state that has not adopted the UCCJEA is Massachusetts. Puerto Rico has also not adopted the Act.

That's interesting. Can you provide me the link to what you saw?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure, its wikipedia so not that trust worthy but who knows right https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Child_Custody_Jurisdiction_and_Enforcement_Act

Ok, let me verify. My information may be wrong so give me just a moment to check in on my sources.

Ok, the information from Wikipedia may be inaccurate or just no updated yet. Based on information from the National Commission on Uniform Laws, PR has accepted the UCCJEA. Click here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
well there goes the hope... thanks anyway. Gave you 5 stars

Thanks again. I sincerely ***** ***** Come back any time soon.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer