I'd like to find out whether or not I can find an attorney…

Customer Question
I'd like to find...

I'd like to find out whether or not I can find an attorney who will represent me on a psychiatric negligence lawsuit.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have the NYS Dept of Health doing an investigation since psychiatrist did not report him to NYS police that he was a danger to himself or others. I was told investigation takes a while; it was started in 12/17

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, i guess that's enough for now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 1 month ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would still like assistance.
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

In which town does the psychiatrist practice.

Please describe the situation a little more.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The psychiatrist practices in Middletown, NY. Here is the gist of our case:
Because of what happened to our family, I looked up on the internet what the responsibilities are for a psychiatrist. This is what I found: Psychiatrists, like other medical professionals, owe a variety of legal obligations to their patients. Psychiatrists are subject to malpractice lawsuits if they negligently commit medical errors that harm their patients. A psychiatrist can also have a duty to warn and protect third parties from dangerous patients.
My son was treated by a psychiatrist who did not follow this protocol. From the day of his first appointment (which I attended along with him), she dismissed his diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder for which he had been treated for 7 years by 4 previous psychiatrists and successfully. She directed him to stop taking the antipsychotic medications he had been taking for 7 years. She gave him a new diagnosis: PTSD. Via many faxes, I reported my observations as they related to his behavioral health. Despite the fact that I told her his comments that the schizoaffective disorder never went away ‘but, he wouldn’t let them hurt anyone’ and a journal entry he made indicating he wanted to commit mass murder and would feel no remorse, she only responded that I should have no concerns with this.The outcome of this psychiatrist not having properly diagnosed my son and the fact that she didn’t even report to the NYS Police that he was a danger either to himself (2 hospital admissions with suicidal ideation, and 1 suicidal attempt) or others (his threats to harm other people) allowed him to go down a path that led to a short lived spree of crimes, including attempted murder, for which he is now spending a sentence of 30 years. He was a good person, a fine son who we were extremely proud of. We watched his mental health deteriorate shadowing over the son we had. We had to sit and watch him spiral downward to a very dark place no 26 year old, in the prime of his life, should have to witness.I do not dispute the sentence. He committed crimes. However, because of this psychiatrist’s negligence, she tore apart a family’s life and caused a young man’s life to take a twisted turn. We do have a copy of the 6 page psychiatric evaluation from the Correctional Facility where he is currently housed that confirms our belief. I am 62; his father is 72. We will never again in our lives be able to spend a Christmas with him or share meals at the dinner table with him. We’ve lost our son, our lives are literally shattered. I cannot in good conscience let this psychiatrist continue with her day to day life without fully understanding what she has done, not only to 1 person, but 3.
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 28 days ago

Thank you for the aditional information.

You can get a free consultation from some of the local malpractice attorneys listed here.

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer