If I was held 10 days past the NRS 433A.150 do I have legal…

If I was held...

If I was held 10 days past the NRS 433A.150 do I have legal standing to pursue legal redress based on violation of my civil rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NEVADA NRS 433A.210 mental health evaluation

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that this happened June 2016 so if I filed would I meet statute of limitations?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I need to contact a Nevada attorney?

Thank you very much for your patience. As you know, the NV law says that a person that is detained must be released within 72 hours, including weekends and holidays. If you were detained longer than that, and there was no legitimate or legal reason for them to do so, you could bring a civil suit for their actions based on a violation of the civil law and for false imprisonment.

False imprisonment occurs when a person is confined to a bounded area. In a suit for false imprisonment, the damages award may include compensation for loss of earnings while imprisoned, for bodily and mental suffering caused by the imprisonment, and for expenses incurred in securing discharge from restraint including a reasonable attorney fees.

iling a lawsuit is relatively simple, but there are some specific steps you must follow. Generally, you will want to begin with drafting up your complaint on 28-line pleading paper. You can usually get 28-line pleading paper as a Microsoft Word template or just looking online for a free copy of one. I usually recommend that you begin with a brief introduction and then start a new heading with a new paragraph where you lay out the facts. Once you are done laying out the facts, create a new heading that provides your legal analysis. For example, you could say that a breach of contract occurs when someone fails to fulfill their obligation in an agreement. It doesn't have to be very long, but something that explains what your legal authority is to bring the case. Afterward, you will want to have your “Prayer for Relief” as a separate heading and then you put in what you want (e.g. amount of money you want). Make three copies of this.

Once you do that, you should either look online or go to the courthouse to find out if there are any specific forms you must fill out. Many county courthouses require specific forms depending on the cause of action that you have and they’ll reject it if you don’t have the right forms. If you can get three copies in advance of going to the courthouse, do so and attach them to your complaint.

Once you fill out the forms and you have your complaint, you should go to the courthouse and file them. Most lawsuits require a filing fee. The court will stamp that the docs have been received. The court will keep one copy of the received document and the court will give you back the others (one for you to keep and one for you to serve).

When you get those documents, you should go to www.thumbtack.com and find a process server. A process server is a person who will serve a copy of the lawsuit on the other party. Service is required when you are suing someone for almost all papers you file with the court. A process server must be at least 18 years old and not involved in the case in any way. If you have a friend or family member who can do it, they can serve it for you, too. Otherwise, most process servers charge something like 50-100 dollars. Once service is complete, the process server will typically have to file a “proof of service” form to swear to the court that they filed the documents.

Finally, there’s the discovery process where you can ask the other party for documents and even take statements from witnesses (these are called depositions). If you can’t reach agreement, then you go to trial.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have filed my own motions but due to my lack of knowledge regarding legal proceedings I had to seek legal counsel. Since I reside in AZ how do I find a NV attorney.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most in advertising can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Check out the website for your state’s LRS: Nevada LRS click here

You can also search for attorneys on a website called Lawyer Legion (click here) that scours all 50 states based on the kind of attorney you need.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I acquire a transcript of this chat? Will it be sent to my email?

Good question. You can always log back into the system and see the question or copy and paste it into a Word document.

Did you have any other questions for me about this today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In reviewing your credentials there is no mention if you hold a current standing to practice. Do you and if so where?

I practice in California and have my own civil litigation practice.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you because your knowledge of federal law and it's application at the state level is excellent. I commend you for your knowledge.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer