I have a few more questions about my parents will. You told…

Hi I have a few...
Hi I have a few more questions about my parents will. You told me yesterday that I had to hire a lawyer in virginia to send a letter of demand. Does this have to be done before the estate is finished probated. How long does probate take and appx cost of such letter and can I hire a lawyer in calif to handle it>?
3/14/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

Hello again,

I'm afraid you'll need a lawyer licensed in Virginia. A California lawyer wouldn't be authorized to practice in Virginia. And even if they could, if for any reason you had to go to court, it would cost you significantly more to pay a California lawyer to fly across the country for a hearing than to use someone local to the case. A good place to find someone would be www.martindale.com.

Cost is going to depend largely on how long the case takes, but also the lawyer's hourly rate, firm size, location, and other factors. There's unfortunately no way for me to estimate the fee, but most lawyers will give you a free or cheap consultation before taking the case. Usually, if you only wanted a demand letter, it would be a couple hundred dollars.

How long probate takes is going to depend in part on how big the estate is, how many creditors file claims, how busy the courts in that county are, and whether the will is contested. When you go to look for lawyers, they should be able to give you an estimate based on what's happened so far and how much work they anticipate is left to be done.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney