I have a piece of property where I have had the existing…

I have a piece of...
I have a piece of property where I have had the existing house removed and I’m planning to build a new house on the property.People have now started to dump on my property since the house is now gone and it looks empty. I am planning to go out and install 4x4 posts and run chain between them to keep people off my land. I will mark the property with NO TRESPASSING signs and NO DUMPING signs. I want to be sure that I would be within my rights to do that without fear of someone trying to drive thru the chain because they couldn’t see it.
3/14/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Have you had a survey done to make sure you know your property lines? Also, are your neighbors disputing the property lines or thinking they have a right to use your land or go through your land?

People are driving in the main driveway. And dumping couches and carpet

As a property owner, you have a right to put up a fence (posts and chains) and the signs. If you think people are going to overreact if they wake up one day and see the fence, you could give a courtesy warning to those using the main driveway before you put up the fence if you choose to do so. That is up to you. The issue is whether the people using the main driveway think it is their right to use the driveway based on an easement or adverse possession claim. Then there could be an issue. Otherwise, it is your land and you have a right to put up a fence on your property (unless there is some ordinance on fences in your neighborhood).

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Main Driveway
Second view
I actually had the Police stop by because of the dumping that has been done on the property. The Deputy had me add the orange marking tape as an added security measure so it could be seen easier.

Great. If you need further assistance, let me know.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney