If i dont return an engagement ring because i pawned it,

If i dont return...

If i dont return an engagement ring because i pawned it, what can ex- fiance due legally.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He does know.

3/14/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Oops, i did typo, he does NOT know yet. The pawn shop needs me to make a payment to keep it from default, but i dont have the thousand dollars to kerp it in good standing.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

In Arizona, engagement rings are seen as conditional gifts with no fault considerations. Under this approach, the court does not care who is at fault for the relationship dissolving. As long as the marriage does not take place, ownership of the ring reverts back to the giver of the ring. Even if the giver of the ring is to blame for the relationship ending, they still get the engagement ring back.

So, if you have pawned the ring, they can sue you for the return of the ring or the value.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you blindsided by liability.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Ok, well, i understand. So the value, is that the amount he paid or appraised for

Presumably, the appraised value, but you can present evidence of lower value.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Ok, that makes sense

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Could i file bankruptcy on him?

Yes, that could discharge the debt.

Loren, Attorney
Ok, thank you !