We have an employee that quit and he did not return his

We have an employee...

We have an employee that quit and he did not return his uniforms. What can we do? I have sent him several text to return the uniforms and he does not respond. We are charged a monthly fee for these uniforms.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I am a member

3/14/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok

Thanks very much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. This to me sounds like a conversion wherein your company would be the plaintiff. Conversion occurs when there is a substantial interference with the personal property rights of another. This is possible when either a person is blocking the rights of another’s right to the personal property, even if that person had authority to possess the property, but that right was taken away by the owner (e.g. the owner took away permission from the person currently in possession). Usually, the measure of damages is the fair market value of the property at the time of conversion or a return of the property itself. For example, a vehicle that is worth $4,000 at the time the owner’s access was blocked is likely what a court would award. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising that the property should be returned ASAP There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Could we send it to a collection agency?

Probably not; the only reason is because it's not money that he owes, but personal property. A collections agency will usually only accept money payments because those are easier to collect than personal property, particularly a uniform.

How else can I help you today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Thank you