My son is currently in our local jail, and was due to be…

My son is currently...

My son is currently in our local jail, and was due to be released today. The DOC has not calculated his release date, so he is being held on 'dead time'. is there anything that a lawyer can do to help speed this process up?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The parole board said that he would be released today, but that was at his hearing in December. He has a letter from them stating that his sentence is 1 year. The parole board made their decision on February 1st.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so, this is all very confusing...

3/15/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
I still need an answer . If someone could please respond , it would be greatly appreciated .
Jonathan Holson

Hi, my name is Matt. I have been a criminal defense attorney for 14 years. I hoping to assist you with your issue.

Have you made contact with the local jail. What are they telling you?

I have not , the holdup is the DOC. They still haven't calculated his release date , and apparently everyone goes by their calculations .

What is the DOC telling you?

That they are backlogged and that his case is 'in process'. The last time that I talked to them they told me to wait a month before I called them back .

I'm not sure what the legal basis for continuing to hold your son would be. If the parole board said he was to be released, he should be released. I frankly have never heard of this kind of backlog, but I am in Minnesota not Virginia. Was your son represented by an attorney initially?

He originally had a court appointed attorney.

Have you made any attempt to contact that attorney. It seems to me that he or she able to contact DOC and address this issue.

I will try.

I think that you be your best option. He should be able to help.

Thank you

You're welcome. If this has been helpful please give me a five star rating. Good luck with everything!

Jonathan Holson