I live in San Angelo Tx.While going through some boxes from…

Customer Question
My name is***** and...

My name is***** and I live in San Angelo Tx.While going through some boxes from our move,I found a UPS envelope,that contained a check made out to me for 3950.00.The check was dated 9/30/2013.The remitter was a mortgage company in Lincoln ,Ne and drawn on a bank in Cincinnati.I found out the Mortgage company is no longer,but the mother company still exist.They have many investment companys but say they have no records from there Mortgage Co.What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio,Texas,Nebraska

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No -I just found it yesterday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm thinking this was money from a escrow account on a house I sold in Ohio.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if the account is closed and the business is now out of business, you have a unenforceable check. If the parent company still exists, then you need to send the parent company copies of the check and if they still refuse to pay, then you would have to file a small claims lawsuit against them where the parent company is located. So, this is not quite an easy fix I am afraid as you may thing since the original company is out of business.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Could the money have been turned over to the Secretary of State here in Texas

Thank you for your reply.

It could have been turned over to the Secretary of State in the state where it was issued, but you said you checked into that I thought. It would be in the secretary of state's office in the state where you lived when it was issued if it was turned over to them.