On my property tax statement it shows our business listed as…

On my property tax statement...
On my property tax statement it shows our business listed as commercial, we are zoned in light industrial/manf. We are a 3 person operation in making kitchen/bath cabinets, 1 person is sales/ofc 2 make the cabinets and install. Do we need to show on our tax statement that we are light industrial/manfu. or can we leave as commercial. Not sure if it matters.Do I need to have the Village of Weston change commercial to light industrial on the real-estate property tax bill?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure if you could see this. I would now like to have an opinion from a real estate attorney. I did call DOR to see if there where any changes to the MC forms that I sent in from the previous year for the Manufacturing Credit. A corporate revenue auditor came on the line and stated she did not see that we qualified for MC. requested info on how we were set up on our real-estate property bill. I told her I would get back . She requested me, to e-mail. I emailed her the next day 2-5-18. Stated I show we were listed as commercial on and tax bill and zoned light industrial with the village of Weston, WI. She never responded. Just need to know if we are ok, or if we need to make changes. And what that would entail.
3/15/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still need a answer.
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Just confirming that your business is considered industrial rather than commercial. Generally, industrial involves the manufacturing of goods. Commercial is usually any business that is serving customers on a more wholesale and retail level. Just want to make sure. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WE are listed as commercial on our property tax statement, but the property is zoned light industrial. We make and install the product.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no call please

Having an industrial zoned areas does not necessarily mean that a commercial business cannot be in the zone. However, if your business is actually a light industrial business it is better for you to recategorize the business as light industrial rather than commercial. It could matter with regards ***** ***** assessment of the property taxes. Also, it is better to rectify the situation to avoid any confusion in the future.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IF we go to the village of Weston to have it changed to light industrial what does that all entail. Will we have state inspectors come thru the property, additional costs?

I am sorry. I would not know the procedure of the Village of Weston for changing the property tax statement categorization. It is not something readily available. If I were your attorney working on the matter, I would call them to ask what would be necessary for them to have or if there was a form to complete, would there be any additional costs and whether the inspector would be necessary. Again, that is information that is not readily available without inquiring with the Village directly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

You are welcome. If something else comes up and you want to discuss, just let me know.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney