My daughter had a single vehicle accident and left the scene…

My daughter had a...

My daughter had a single vehicle accident and left the scene before law enforcement was there. There were no other people involved and she is ok. She took out a guardrail and left the car. Law enforcement was looking for her that evening. I don't know if they are still looking for her or not. What kind of liability does she have and what does she need to do, if anything. This is in Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Texas 2006

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It has been filed with the insurance company

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

3/14/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. She could be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Even though she hit a guardrail, she had an obligation to remain and report this. Of course, she does not have to speak with police and contact them and if they are looking for her, they will try and find her and reach her. She does not have to admit to anything and if they do charge her, will have to prove she was driving the vehicle at the time and behind the wheel

she can go on about her normal routine? She doesn't have to turn herself in or be worried about a warrant?

If there is a warrant issued, she could turn herself in at that time and it would be up to her to contact the police and see what they want to know. She can also retain a criminal defense attorney to act on her behalf, and contact them for her, so she is represented at this time if she is concerned.

I'm inclined to leave it alone and return to her normal routine. What would you do?

She can do that and take a wait and see approach. I think if they want to find her and contact her they would try and call or show up at her home and then you can decide from there, if and how much she will cooperate. Since this was a single car accident and did not involve anyone else, they may not focus on it that much and move on to something else.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Thank you for your time and knowledge. Have a good day!

you are welcome