In nj can i throw out my 18yr old who hasn't graduated from…

In nj can i...

In nj can i throw out my 18yr old who hasn't graduated from hs but refuses to go to school and will not respect any rules?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Like what?

3/14/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You could terminate their tenancy with a 30 day written notice to vacate and then evict through the courts, but you can't just throw them out and lock the door..

.

They are considered a month to month tenant and you are the landlord. So you have to terminate the tenancy and then evict through the courts like any landlord would. Once the 30 day expired, you would file a formal eviction case at the local courthouse but filing a summons and complaint with the clerks. They would set a court date where you would appear and tell your story and present your copy of the 30 day. Then the judge should give you a judgment and set a date for son to leave. If he didn't move out by that date, you can have the sheriff physically remove him. That process will take around a month..

.

.

thanks

him not having graduated from hs is not an issue? and if i throw him out myself and he calls the police i will have to let him back in?
i can write the eviction notice myself?

Correct. The age of majority in NJ is 18, after which a person is an adult and their parents are no longer responsible for them..

.

and if i throw him out myself and he calls the police i will have to let him back in?

.

Correct.

.

i can write the eviction notice myself?

,

Yes, or just google "NJ 30 day notice" and it will bring up lots of sample templates.

Barrister, Attorney