Is it illegal to search through my spouses electronic

Is it illegal to...

Is it illegal to search through my spouses electronic devices if I suspect an affair?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just curious if there is any legal recourse for snooping or digging?

3/14/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If someone suspects their spouse of anything, it is illegal to access any password ***** device, it is considered computer hacking or unauthorized electronic access. If the spouse leaves their email open or leaves their phone open where you can see the messages without accessing through a password, then it is not illegal, although it is an invasion of their privacy, it is not illegal hacking.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

What is the legal recourse?
Also, what if they are password ***** devices but my spouse has given me the password?

Thank you for your reply.

The legal recourse of the spouse who was violated would be to file criminal charges, generally the DA is reluctant to pursue such criminal charges, but more important, the spouse who was violated can get the divorce or any court where the evidence is sought to be introduced to ignore the evidence as it was obtained illegally.

Even if she gave you her passwords, you cannot access the devices without her consent. If you do so, the court will be forced to ignore whatever you found on them and you could not introduce them in court.