I have a question on How to stop a current Garnishment.

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question on How to stop a current Garnishment

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have a active garnishment on a debt that I acquired over 14 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Its a Contract Debt

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

How much do you owe?

Are they garnishing protected funds?

I owe $3300...I have already been garnished for over $1000....the original Judgment was only for $2200
They are garnishing my paycheck
I researched online and isn't there a Statue of Limitations for 3yrs on "Contract Debt"

Thank you for your reply.

I am afraid that you have so few options on these cases. I am sorry to say that if the debt is a valid debt and they obtained a judgment, there is almost no way to stop the garnishment unless they are garnishing protected funds (such as Social Security or disability or insurance benefits). If they are garnishing your wages over a valid judgment, the only way to stop the garnishment is to make a settlement with the creditor.

The statute of limitations applies BEFORE they sue over debt. Once they sue over a debt, which is necessary to get a garnishment order, then they get a judgment. Under MD law, a judgment is valid for 12 years and may be renewed for another 12 years. So, the 3 year statute of limitations applies only before they obtained judgment.

Thus, you need to contact the creditor attorney and seek to negotiate some type of deal with them in order to stop the garnishment I am sorry to say.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.