From a purely legal perspective, why are ciggerette

From a purely legal...

From a purely legal perspective, why are ciggerette companies banned from promoting thier product( on television & other media outlets) but alcahol companies can? They are both taxed legal products. It seems quite biased to me

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Rhode Island

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge but I see alcahol promotional commercials all over T. V. But ciggerette commercials were banned 50 years ago. I just don't understand how one company( who sells a legal product) can do such thimgs when another company( or legal product endorser) can?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have another question about lottery sales and false misleading advertizing

3/14/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is purely because "they," the powers that be, believe that smoking causing cancer is more dangerous than the dangers of alcohol. Smoking has become more socially unacceptable over the years, while consuming alcohol is not.

Also, there is no civil right to use either alcohol or to smoke, so it is not a protected right that would be infringed upon by preventing advertising of either. Alcohol advertisement was banned many years ago, but those laws were slowly removed allowing first for beer and wine advertisement and now back to regular alcohol advertisement.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank You for your answer but the powers that be seem biased

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, they can be biased and they are also influenced by the powerful lobby money. That is called "reality" and "fact of life" I am afraid. While the cigarette lobby used to be powerful, there has been so much proof that smoking causes cancer, the legislatures are not willing to change those advertisement bans, but there has been no such proof against alcohol and they still continue to be able to lobby law makers.

So, the law is not fair in reality and while alcohol may be harmful in excess, cigarette smoking has medically been proven to be harmful. I am sorry that you believe that it seems biased, but all I can do is tell you why it is, I have no opinion either way on it.