Can you be arrested for harassment? In CT. It was not a work…

Customer Question
Can you be arrested...

Can you be arrested for harassment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

In CT. It was not a work place incident. It was a girl in her early 20's. We did not have an affair but it was texting flirting

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Now she is accusing me of harassing her

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I got a call from a cop. Does that mean I'm about to be arrested?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your criminal law question this evening. I'm attorney Bill following up on your question . harassment and/or staking are criminal offenses do varying degrees depending on the conduct threatened.

For example:

"Sec. 53a-183. Harassment in the second degree: Class C misdemeanor. (a) A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when: (1) By telephone, he addresses another in or uses indecent or obscene language; or (2) with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person, he communicates with a person by telegraph or mail, by electronically transmitting a facsimile through connection with a telephone network, by computer network, as defined in section 53a-250, or by any other form of written communication, in a manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm; or (3) with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person, he makes a telephone call, whether or not a conversation ensues, in a manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm.

(b) For purposes of this section such offense may be deemed to have been committed either at the place where the telephone call was made, or at the place where it was received.

(c) The court may order any person convicted under this section to be examined by one or more psychiatrists.

(d) Harassment in the second degree is a class C misdemeanor."

The more serious charge is first degree harassment:

"Sec. 53a-182b. Harassment in the first degree: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of harassment in the first degree when, with the intent to harass, annoy, alarm or terrorize another person, he threatens to kill or physically injure that person or any other person, and communicates such threat by telephone, or by telegraph, mail, computer network, as defined in section 53a-250, or any other form of written communication, in a manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm and has been convicted of a capital felony, a class A felony, a class B felony, except a conviction under section 53a-86 or 53a-122, a class C felony, except a conviction under section 53a-87, 53a-152 or 53a-153, or a class D felony under sections 53a-60 to 53a-60c, inclusive, 53a-72a, 53a-72b, 53a-95, 53a-103, 53a-103a, 53a-114, 53a-136 or 53a-216. For the purposes of this section, "convicted" means having a judgment of conviction entered by a court of competent jurisdiction.

(b) For purposes of this section, such offense may be deemed to have been committed either at the place where the telephone call was made or where it was received.

(d) Harassment in the first degree is a class D felony."

Because you received a call from police doesn't necessarily mean you'll be arrested and charged as they may firstly be checking your identity and giving you a warning.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as necessary.

In return your positive rating is much appreciated.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ty for your reply. The police didn't call, but according to the person who picked up her phone, he was the police and offered a badge number which I refused. I was also unsure it was the police and did not give him my correct address. Is it safe to assume that with no further contact with the complaintent that I'm out of the woods and I am not being arrested?

Well not necessarily but as time goes on yes as it comes less likely that you would be prosecuted.

There is a 1 year statute of limitations for the lesser offense above and 5 years for first degree harassmernt.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer