I have received a telephone message that I am being served a…

I have received a...

I have received a telephone message that I am being served a summons to appear in court in California and I live in Michigan. No information was given as to the type of lawsuit or who is the plantiff. I lived in CA 7 years ago and moved out in 2011. My spouse lives in ca.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The complaint is supposedly filed in CA. I live in Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't' know, I have not received any summons and have no information as to who is the plantiff or what the complaint is about. Does Ca or MI law take precedence. Should I contact a lawyer here in Michigan?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Who is suing you and what for?

Did the caller offer to stop the lawsuit if you paid them immediately?

The call came from National servicing group (###) ###-#### They only state that they have legal papers for me to sign and to contact my lawyer. They reference a case # ***** CRT2712199. No mention is made of who the plantiff is or what the complaint is about. I have not been served a summons but the said the phone call was evidence of attempting service?
There was no offer to stop the lawsuit if I paid them immediately, but I did not talk to them, they only left voice mails.
Should I call them for more info, or an address to respond to?

This sounds like a scam.

Calling you in NOT evidence of attempting service.

Do not call them back or speak to them. If they reach you do not let them convince you to send money.

In all likelihood this is a scam and you are not being sued.

Also, that case number ***** ***** formatted like a real court case.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

They said the message was regarding the address I lived in in CA, and where my spouse currently lives and wants to discuss the legal resident or property owners regarding a summons to appear in court in my name. I moved from ca in 2011 but still own the property with my spouse. Is there anyway to check the court case number ***** Ca court system. Thanks
I just don't want to ignore it if it isn't a scam.

They likely have no personal jurisdiction over you in a California court if you are not a resident there any longer.

The fact that they told you that a phone call is proof of service would seem to indicate a scam, but you can call them back and demand written evidence of the obligation, pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Just do not let them convince you to send money now. No matter what they say or threaten, do not send them money or sign anything they send you.

Remember that for the majority of legal claims, the statute of limitations would have expired.

Loren, Attorney
OK, thanks, I will sign off for now.

You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.