I sold a boat last year in May, the person who purchased the…

I sold a boat...

I sold a boat last year in May, the person who purchased the boat turned it on and decided to buy it. A few days later he texted me to say the boat was making a weird noise. He took it to a mechanic and wanted us to pay half of the repairs. We never agreed to pay half. He had threatened to sue us, however, we didn't here from him until a week ago. Staing that the time was up and that they are gettinv closer to us. Could he sue us? What rights do we have?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the boat?

California. Not sure on the year. Sorry

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know. He hadn't contacted us until last week.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The boat was a 1994

3/14/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
He could sue but as the sale was as is and no warranties were issued I do not see basis for a claim.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I expected a little more information
Barrister, Attorney

Hello, different expert here..

.

What other questions did you have about the sale that I can help with?

.

.

thanks

Does he have grounds to sue me?

Did you provide any type of written warranty with the boat?

.

Did you answer any questions about the boat that the person asked truthfully? (like Hey, does it run good? Any problems you know about?)

When i sold him the boat i was going to give him a bill of sale being that i had not registered the boat under my name and he didn't want o ne. He said that he would use the pink slip even though i told him it was not under my name.

Ok that doesn't really answer either question I asked...

I did not give any warranty. I answered everything truthfully and to the best of my knowledge

Ok, then the buyer took the boat "as is" with any defects that existed at the time of sale. It would have been up to the buyer to have the boat thoroughly inspected prior to purchasing. If he chose to buy without having a boat mechanic inspect, then he voluntarily assumed the risk that there might be something wrong that you didn't know about.

.

So bot***** *****ne here is that he is just stuck and has no legal recourse against you. He can blow smoke all he wants, but without a written warranty all used personal property sales are "as is".

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Thank you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

.

Thanks much