I need help with a roofing contractor that my husband and…

I need help with...

I need help with a roofing contractor that my husband and signed papers to get our roof covered bc od Irma damage untill we could get monies from our ins co to have the roof repaired/replaced we were told that it would be $ 185.00 to patch up the roof with plastic FEMA approved. wenevergot copies of those papers. they wanted $45k to do our roof we told them it was 2 much money and no they kept pestering now they claim that we owe them $900.00 for putting the paper on our roof which all they did was the brown plastic paper the blue FEMA plastic was put on our roof by our ins co. not by this contractor. they have put a lien on our house.. HELP !!!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida where "Irma happened Naples specifically

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?such as ? Im not sure i understand?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No bc i don't know any lawyers and i'm so angry at these dishonest people that came into our community and solicited us and r now doing this to us. this is not unique to my husband and t immubyy I they have done the same to our eldery neighbors

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am currently working on a response to your question and should have that to you shortly.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this problem. The advantage that is taken of people after a natural disaster is so unfortunate. It sounds like you agreed to $185 for work that they later came back and wanted $900 for. There are anti-gouging laws in Florida that apply after events like Hurricane Irma. These laws don't directly address roof and structure repairs and are more geared toward life necessities like gas, water, food, and the like. That said, if you agreed to $185 and the work was then performed, the price should be $185. I assume the lien put on your home is a typical mechanics' lien. If that is the case, you would need to file with the court to have the lien lifted. The relevant statute states the following:

By an order of the circuit court of the county where the
property is located, as provided in this subsection. Upon
filing a complaint therefor by any interested party the
clerk shall issue a summons to the lienor to show cause
within 20 days why his or her lien should not be enforced by
action or vacated and canceled of record. Upon failure of
the lienor to show cause why his or her lien should not be
enforced or the lienor's failure to commence such action
before the return date of the summons the court shall
forthwith order cancellation of the lien.

You may also want to report this business to the Florida Attorney General - you can do that by following the below instructions:

Report this information to the Attorney General’s Price Gouging Hotline at 1-***-***-****. You may also report violations online at http://myfloridalegal.com or mail documents to the following address:

Office of the Attorney General
The Capitol, PL-01
Tallahassee, FL###-##-####/p>

Please remember to include your name, the name of the company or individual, and a complaint number, if you received one.

Again, I am so sorry you have to deal with this issue. If you need further help, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is ​for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your help.

You are very welcome and best of luck!

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer